Sunday, November 15, 2009

Fire Sale

Looking at Fire Sale for the first time, I did not want to even open the book let alone read it. At 500+ pages, the book just wasn't calling out to me, especially with the immense workload that usually accompanies the end of the semester. Basically, I didn't expect to finish the novel. Nonetheless, I started reading but with low expectations.
Somewhere along the way though Paretsky had me hooked. I found myself dedicating long periods of time solely to the reading of the novel, looking up the streets mentioned throughout the novel and attempting to pinpoint wherever V.I. traveled. Judging from the street knowledge and descriptions of the various areas around north, south, and central Chicago, it is obvious that Paretsky has spent her life as a Chicagoan which made the novel even more intriguing to me. As I read, I imagined each scene as if it was a movie being shot around the city which made me question why only one movie has been out of Paretsky's many novels.
I'm not sure whether it was the setting of Chicago, the characters, or the plot of the story that really caught my attention, but whatever it was I really enjoyed this novel much more than I thought I would. The writing isn't superb, but that didn't prevent me from enjoying the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment