Monday, November 30, 2009

Algren's Chicago

One particular quote grabbed my attention while reading City On The Make -"Yet once you've come to be part of this particular patch, you'll never love another. Like loving a woman with a broken nose, you may well find lovelier lovelies. But never a lovely so real."

This definitely describes Chicagoans well in my opinion. Before I chose to come to UIC and make the move from the northern suburbs to this urban environment, I had no idea how it would be to live in Chicago. The city atmosphere wasn't what lured me to this college but it is definitely one of the reasons why I have stayed here for all four years of undergrad. The history of the city and the different characters I've encountered around every corner I make every moment a memorable one. The people in this city are "real" people, people I will probably never encounter anywhere else. Lately, I've been having an endless debate over whether or not I want to remain in the city after I graduate in May. There are many advantages and disadvantages to either decision I make but the idea of staying within Chicago seems to be winning lately. I may be a suburban kid at heart but the last 4 years in Chicago have definitely made an impression on me which I'm likely not going to shake off.

No comments:

Post a Comment